Summer is here and there has never been a better time to own a private pool! It is tempting to jump right in after having it closed for several months. Nevertheless, here are seven critical steps that should be taken in order to get your backyard oasis in proper working condition.
- Safety First! The first step to enjoying your pool is to make sure it is safe. Remove any debris that may have fallen, trim bushes that are in the way, and make sure there are no issues with the pool or the area surrounding it. This includes the cover, filter, pump, and any area furniture.
- Before turning on the pump and pump filter, be certain to fill the pool to the skimmer line.
- Remove all plugs and turn on all valves.
- Make a list of the chemical inventory in your storage room. Make sure the chemicals are not out of date and underwent proper storage procedures from the previous season.
- Use a test kit to adjust the chemicals in the pool’s water or have your local pool supplier test the water for you. This is a step that should be incorporated into a regular weekly maintenance routine.
- After a day or so, retest the water and make sure it is balanced properly.
- Enjoy Your Pool!