COVID-19 has caused a great deal of hair loss among many people who have suffered from it. As a result, a debate has risen between the use of hair extensions versus traditional wigs. Let us take a look at the various pros and cons.
Pros of Hair Extensions
- They look natural and often behave like natural hair
- One can swim with hair extensions and they do not need to be removed before other strenuous activities
- The hair can last up to a year if cared for properly.
Cons of Hair Extensions
- Hair extensions are extremely costly-in the Chattanooga hair extensions can cost up to $1,050 for the hair extensions, up to $450 for custom coloring, and possibly another $300 every 6-8 weeks for maintenance.
- Hair extensions cannot easily be changed without great expense and time.
- One’s real hair can be damaged by the extensions. Examples of damage include split ends and further hair loss.
Pros of Wigs
- Wigs can be purchased in different colors and styles. One can literally have a new hairdo every week.
- Wigs do not typically damage one’s natural hair.
- Manufactured wigs can be very affordable. In the Chattanooga area, top of the line manufactured wigs can be purchased for as little as $450 and can last up to a year.
Cons of Wigs
- Wigs can irritate the scalp in hot weather conditions.
- If not washed regularly, wigs can start to look older and frayed.
- Wigs should be removed before swimming, dance class, or other similar activities.
For a relatively inexpensive new look, wigs can offer a viable solution at a fraction of the price to hair extensions. While pros and cons exist for both options, wigs definitely offer a flexible and affordable alternative.
To check out wigs in the Chattanooga area, stop by Wig Palace at 5716 Ringgold Rd Suite 102 in East Ridge, or check out their selection online at thewigpalace.com.